Healthy eating is one of the most important ways you can support your health and overall wellbeing as you age. When you take advantage of Northfield’s dining services, you’ll discover finding and following a healthy eating plan can be simple, thanks to our staff.
At Northfield, we recognize that our residents want to spend their retirement years enjoying life rather than worrying about getting proper nutrition. To find out how our dining services can take the guesswork out of balanced nutrition for seniors, give us a call at 844.334.1490.
The Health Impacts of Following a Healthy Eating Plan for Seniors
Once you have entered your senior years, you may wonder if it is still worth the effort to focus on healthy eating. While a healthy diet can positively influence your weight, good nutrition is about more than just your outer appearance.
There are several reasons you should consider sticking to a healthy eating plan:
- It may make you more resistant to illness. Supplying your body with the right nutrients can help maintain your physical health as you age and make you less susceptible to illness and health conditions.
- It can help you maintain a positive mood. There is a connection between food and mood. Certain foods can cause mood fluctuations and make it more challenging to stay positive.
- It can help you sustain an active lifestyle. Low energy can put a damper on enjoying your retirement in an independent living community. Thankfully, you can eat energy by consuming plenty of fresh, whole foods.
- It can support your brain health. Your brain utilizes a large percentage of your body’s energy to operate at its best. To help maintain your cognitive function, memory, focus, and learning ability, follow a healthy eating plan for seniors.
While this list is not exhaustive, it should give you plenty of incentive to eat healthily.
The Key Components of a Healthy Diet
To help support optimal health in your senior years, there are some changes you may need to make in your diet. All life stages come with different nutritional needs, and following a diet tailored to your needs as a senior can be your ticket to vibrant health. Seniors need to be more mindful of the health of their heart, bones, brain, immune system, and digestive system.
Some of the most important nutrients seniors need to thrive include:
- Vitamin D3 – found in fatty fish, eggs, and sunshine
- Calcium – found in dairy, leafy green vegetables, and canned fish
- Vitamin B12 – found in dairy, eggs, organ meats, beef, clams, sardines, and tuna
- Fiber – found in whole grains, beans, peas, fruits, and vegetables
- Omega-3 fatty acids – found in fatty fish, flax seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts
- Potassium – found in avocados, spinach, sweet potatoes, black beans, tomato paste, butternut squash, beets, and bananas
Keep in mind that whole food sources of nutrition are the best. For example, choose fresh fruit over fruit juice, so you do not lose the fiber content. When you provide your body with the right nutrients, you can enjoy vibrant health in your retirement.
Dining Services at Northfield Can Support Healthy Eating for Seniors
Your nutritional needs will change in your senior years, so it is beneficial to learn how to eat for optimal health based on your life stage. Following a healthy eating plan for seniors can help you look and feel your best with robust health, a positive mood, and a sharp, focused brain.
At Northfield, we understand how valuable proper nutrition is to the quality of life of retirees. Our residents have access to dining services in our independent living community to make healthy eating easier and more convenient. Call our team today at 844.334.1490 to learn more about our healthy dining options for seniors.