Unfortunately, depression can happen to anyone. However, seniors can fail to recognize the symptoms of depression. Sometimes, that leads to them not getting the help they need. Luckily, senior living communities like Northfield offer health and wellness services that may help combat depression in seniors.
Northfield is a senior living community in Brownsburg, Indiana, that offers various services to its residents that may take some of the burdens of depression off of their shoulders. Northfield services include three meals a day, housekeeping once a week, and transportation services. However, to live at Northfield, residents must shower, get dressed, and eat on their own.
If you think living in a senior living community would benefit an older adult in your life, call Northfield at 844.334.1490. One of our staff members would be happy to discuss the benefits of independent senior living and senior wellness with you.
Symptoms of Depression in Seniors
Oftentimes, the increase in life changes that come with growing older may cause seniors to become depressed. Notably, a lot is going on as you get older. Some significant life changes include retirement, medical problems, stressful life events, and the death of loved ones. Concerningly, depression in seniors tends to get misdiagnosed because their main symptom is sadness.
While depression is a medical condition, it isn’t a normal part of aging. Nor is depression a sign of weakness. Some symptoms and signs of depression in seniors include:
- Persistent sad, lonely, or anxious mood
- Feeling hopeless or a sense of pessimism
- Decreased energy or fatigue
- Sleep problems such as difficulty sleeping, waking up too early or oversleeping
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
- Appetite and weight changes
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Aches or pains
If you recognize any of these symptoms of depression in an older adult in your life, be sure to reach out to their physician to get them the help they need. Northfield is not a medical facility, nor do they provide medical services. However, prevention of depression through the benefits of a senior living community can go a long way for your loved one.
Luckily, one of the things that can help manage the symptoms of depression for seniors is overall senior wellness. Often, residents of senior living communities, like Northfield, find that their needs for senior wellness are met by the services offered by the community, such as:
- Proper Diet: An example of senior wellness is ensuring that residents receive a proper diet. Seniors must receive proper nutrients. A healthy diet can assist with several things that affect seniors, such as depression and maintaining cognitive and physical energy.
- Socialization with Peers: Another benefit to senior living communities is that they provide socialization for seniors. The residents are likely all experiencing similar life events and changes. Some of these life events and changes are retirement, losing a loved one, and declining health. Furthermore, services like medicine reminders, transportation services, and housekeeping may allow residents to interact with people more frequently than if they were still living at home.
- Safety: Lastly, another wellness benefit to senior living communities is the safety that it provides its residents. Not only that, but this gives residents’ loved one’s peace of mind. While their loved ones may be living independently, people are still around to check in on them and make sure they’re okay. This is especially beneficial considering that one of the biggest safety risks for seniors is falling.
Consider Northfield For Your Loved One
Northfield is a senior living community that offers a variety of services. Consequently, these services assist with senior health and wellness. Ultimately, by having services to help with health and wellness, the likelihood of depression in seniors may be mitigated.
If you think living in a senior living community would benefit someone in your life, call Northfield 844.334.1490 to speak with someone about the health and wellness services they provide their residents.