At a certain point in many adult children’s lives, they’ll ask themselves and others ‘Is my parent ready for independent living?’ The transition into senior independent living is a major transition. It’s the sort of life change that requires conversations and being well-prepared. Fortunately, a community like Northfield not only provides the senior living services necessary for active seniors to pursue their own goals and interests in retirement but also the services to assist them as they need them. We provide residents with the freedom and relief they desire from household chores, maintenance, and other concerns so they can focus on themselves in their new stage of living.
What Does Senior Independent Living Provide?
As people age, they often look into relocating. It’s honest and appropriate to acknowledge the limitations that come with aging. However, most seniors are still very active and prize their independence. This is where an independent living community comes in to help. We designed Northfield for individuals who are 55+ and looking to make the transition into retirement living. Senior independent living provides residents with neighbors their age with similar active lifestyles. We provide a secure environment that can provide support services as individuals develop the need while always offering amenities allowing individuals to pursue their interests and live their best life in retirement.
Is My Parent Ready For Independent Living?
Active seniors can get a lot out of joining a senior independent living community. But to understand if your parent needs to move to one, it’s a good idea to get a more thorough knowledge of their current needs. One way to do this is by measuring what is called instrumental activities of daily living or IADLs. Talking with your senior parent or parents about IADLs can help gauge their status and if a senior independent living community may be right for them. For instance, some instrumental activities of daily living include:
- Paying the bills
- Cleaning the house
- Cooking food for themselves
- Being able to transport themselves outside of the house, whether that’s driving or any other kind of mobility
Of course, these are broad and unique to each individual, but by talking with your parent or parents about them, you’ll be in a better position to answer the question, ‘Is my parent ready for independent living?’ This is because communities like Northfield offer senior living services that address each of these areas. If your senior parent needs or would like to have these activities taken care of for them, then Northfield may be the right move at the right time.
What Northfield Has To Offer
When your senior parent comes to Northfield, they’ll find a vibrant and active community. We offer numerous services to make the lives of residents easier. For instance, we provide the following in conjunction with access to any health services residents may develop:
- Activities: We plan daily activities and regularly scheduled events to make every day unique.
- Transportation: Scheduled and available on-demand transportation to all the places necessary for you to stay well-provisioned, plugged in, and involved in the community at Northfield and outside it.
- Health and Wellness: Our modern fitness facility has just the right space and equipment. Residents can make sure their body stays loose and healthy.
- Dining Services: Sharing a meal is more than just healthy eating; it’s about enjoying the company of friends and neighbors. We make dining a positive community experience with three meals a day provided.
- Housekeeping: Regular and as-requested help in maintaining your residence like a home. We are always ready to get your space prepared for visitors as well as keep your day-to-day needs met.
So reach out to us at 844.334.1490 to learn more and explore our facility.