No matter what age you are, it’s necessary to be active both physically and mentally. This is especially true as adults enter their retirement years. Finding senior living activities that are not only enjoyable but beneficial is crucial to getting the most out of the retirement lifestyle you are enjoying. At Northfield in Brownsburg, Indiana, residents of our independent community find they can participate in several healthy activities independently and in groups. Doing so is a great way to stay mentally sharp and physically fit.
The Importance of Staying Active
Independent living activities strive to help residents avoid inactivity. There are significant negative health issues that arise due to inactivity. This is true for people of all ages but especially seniors. Older adults need to make it a point to be physically active to prevent health issues due to aging from stunting their lifestyle. Similarly, older adults need to stay mentally active and engaged to lower the risk of issues with memory. Also, being active does wonder for one’s emotional wellbeing. Participating in physical and mental activities lowers the risk of depression and anxiety. Think about the activities and hobbies you currently enjoy or those you have always wanted to try. In retirement, now is your time to try new things and indulge in your favorite pastimes.
Types of Senior Living Activities
Healthy senior citizens tend to participate in three different categories of activities. Social activities involved spending time with others. This can be family, friends, or neighbors. Individual activities are those done alone. Finally, there are health activities which can be done either by oneself or with others but are focused on improving physical fitness and wellness. Some examples of these activities include:
- Social Activities: Perhaps the best kind of social activity outside of sharing a meal with others comes in the form of clubs. At Northfield, residents can participate in or organize any kind of club they choose. Some popular examples include book clubs, a gardening club, or a crafting club.
- Individual Activities: It’s important to be active with others, but it is equally important to have individual activities you can take up on your own. These sorts of hobbies can run the gamut but can include reading, hiking, golfing, or attending continuing education lectures.
- Health and wellness: Exercise is one of those activities that perfectly straddles the line between social and individual participation. It’s important to engage in health-conscious activities like walking, swimming, aerobics, or weight training. All of these activities keep seniors limber, strong, and healthy.
Our Northfield Senior Living Community
Healthy senior living activities at Northfield in Brownsburg, IN, are just one of the qualities making our community one of the best you can find. Aside from our many activities and health programs, we provide support to our residents that allow them to pursue their interests in retirement. We have designed all of our services to make our senior living community tight-knit and easy for residents to enjoy. Some of the services we provide are:
- Dining services: Sharing a meal is more than just healthy eating; it’s about enjoying the company of friends and neighbors. We make dining a positive community experience with three meals a day provided.
- Transportation: Residents often expect the ability to go into town when you want at any senior community. We make the process easy. You have scheduled and available on-demand transportation to all the places necessary for you to stay well-provisioned, plugged-in, and involved in the community.
- Housekeeping: Regular and as-requested help in maintaining residences is a priority at Northfield. We are always ready to help residents prepare their homes for visitors as well as keep on top of the day-to-day needs of living.