Helping your parents move into independent senior living from their home can be an emotionally difficult discussion. But there are ways to start the conversation that will allow everyone involved to make themselves heard so the best solution can be found. There are more senior living options than ever before, and many may go beyond the expectations you or your parents have. The senior living community here at Northfield is active and accommodating. We’re certain if your parents are looking for an independent senior community, they’ll find everything they need with us.
Making the Decision to Move to a Senior Living Community
Remember when talking with your parents about making the transition to senior living to be patient. Set realistic goals, make sure everyone is involved in the discussion, and respect your family’s thoughts and feelings. It may seem simple, but many discussions about the senior living options available today fall short because adult children rush their parents into decisions. Take your time and learn as much as you can. Here at Northfield, we’d love to have you contact us so we can answer your questions and even schedule a tour.
How to Plan for Independent Senior Living
Some ways you can help your parents decide to move into an independent senior living community like Northfield:
- Encourage them to use their equity: For many individuals, after living in one location for a long time, they have built up a good amount of equity. It makes sense to cash-out at the right time, move to a more senior-friendly home, and get the most out of what they’ve saved a lifetime for. One of the many benefits of a senior living community like Northfield is that nearly every detail of the campus is designed with seniors in mind. Seniors have many options, so explore them with your parents and discuss what might fit their needs best. Perhaps a reverse mortgage or line of credit will work best for them, perhaps not, but what matters is having the discussion and discovering what’s available.
- Downsizing while still independent and able-bodied: Comfort matters in retirement. But individuals still need to be aware of how they will be living in the future. Often, your parents may have more house than they need. Downsizing makes sense in both the short and long-term. While it might feel overwhelming, do it sooner rather than later reduces stress and allows everyone to help.
- Moving closer to family: Being near to family is often a top concern of seniors, adults, and young people. Finding a senior living community nearby can be a challenge, but it is possible. Top-tier communities like Northfield offer extensive transportation services, so you know your parent or parents would come to see you and their grandchildren without issue.
- Help when it’s needed: For all of us, aging means needing some level of support. Moving into an independent senior living community removes many everyday burdens giving residents more time to pursue their interests and live the free, active lifestyle they desire. Communities like Northfield can also grow with residents providing them with support and resources as they need it. What can set your mind at ease is knowing there will always be someone available should any need arise.
The Community at Northfield
Making the transition to an independent senior living community doesn’t have to be daunting. Here at Northfield, our vibrant and active community makes it easy to feel at home. When your parents come to live with us, they’ll find numerous services to make their lives easier, giving them the time to enjoy their retirement years. Some of our amenities include:
- Activities: We plan daily activities and regularly scheduled events to make every day unique.
- Transportation: Scheduled and available on-demand transportation to nearly any location gives residents the freedom they need to enjoy their time with us.
- Health and wellness: With just the right space, equipment, and classes, residents can stay healthy and socialize.
- Dining services: Sharing a meal is more than just healthy eating; it’s about enjoying the company of friends and neighbors. We make dining a positive community experience with three meals a day provided.
- Housekeeping: Regular and as-requested help in maintaining your residence like a home. We are always ready to prepare your space for visitors as well as keep your day-to-day needs met.